the guide to fixing ako
*Please go to amazon or whatever retailer you'd like and buy the cac card reader to the right. I found this cac card reader on amazon for just under $12.00. If you click on the image it will bring you to the page. I highly recommend you use this reader instead of other CAC Card Readers due to the potential security flaws.*
In previous guides, they recommend you to open up a Virtual Windows box to access AKO and do your work. They also ask you to disable security settings that are built in. Why on earth would you want to do that? While your accessing your military information? Pointless! It is recommended to use the Safari web browser to access AKO.
1. go to website located on the right and fill out the form. Accept the EULA and download the installation package for your OS version.
2. Install the file and then reboot your computer.
3. Open Smart Card Assistant, (Applications >Utilities > Keychain Access > Centrify) see if SCM Microsystem shows up. Insert card, click refresh and see if Authentication attempts remaining shows up.
4. Download DODCerts.zip, which is located to the right, extract them, Select All (Command + A) and double click. Press Add a bunch of times. (It’ll happen a lot.)
5. Open Keychain Assistant (Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access) On top left, a CACN Keychain will appear. Click it to view all the certs on the card. Click the lock on the upper Left to unlock it.
Congrats! You are now able to log into AKO and access webmail! And the best part is, you do not have to change any internet options in Safari to make this work!